Monday, March 24, 2014

Racism - Alive and (Un)Well

Recently, I experienced the privilege of meeting a wonderful lady who has set up a successful Bed & Breakfast business.  With the advent of bringing the Triumph up to a 'charterable' state, I'm seeking to do business with this woman.  My husband and I met her and her husband at their home, which is also a B&B, to finalize some contract details.

While waiting for the hostess to finish up some tasks in the kitchen, we waited, along with two men from the Netherlands, in the foyer.  Our host ushered the two men upstairs and then led Doug and I into a lovely Victorian-style formal living room.  A little too fluffy and cluttered for my personal taste, but I don't believe the Victorians ever met a piece of lace, tassel or crystal that they didn't adore.

Within minutes, our hostess joined us and we proceeded to discuss the details of our business relationship.  Her invitation has stated 'tea', with the result that I was surprised there was no evidence of coffee or tea or any beverage.  I had double-booked against a birthday gathering, so was okay that we would get in and out.  As we wrapped up our discussion, she announced, "I just have a few more things to get ready, but you can go on into the dining room for dinner."

Uh. Uh. Uh.

Doug, never one to hold back, "I thought we were just coming for tea."
Hostess "I'm from New Orleans - when friends come, we always have dinner."

Thank goodness for SmartPhones.  Definitely wasn't going to forego a New Orleans dinner for cake and coffee.  I texted my friend, who assured me it was okay and we went into the dining room and enjoyed roast chicken, a saffron/corn risotto and fresh tomatoes with sparking wine.

While we were eating, our hostess had to take a phone call, which was quick, and then rejoined us.  By now, we're about 45 minutes late for the birthday 'do, but the dinner and conversation was worth it.


As we made our apologies and prepared to leave, our hostess shared that the phone call was from the gentlemen who had arrived with us.  After being shown to their rooms, they grabbed their stuff and left, checking into a local hotel.  They then called the office of the B&B, not realizing that our hostess was not just a member of the system, but the owner and manager.  The complaint was "We had no idea you would put us in a home owned by African-Americans.  There's no way we can stay there and we want a full refund."

Even now, a day later, I'm shocked beyond words.  Really???  Both my husband and I expressed our shock and dismay, but our hostess, lovely woman that she is, laughed it off.  "If they really think they'll get their money back, they have another thought coming...  It's happened before, it'll happen again.  We move on."

I'm still saddened by this.  In spite of her strength and her ability to shrug it off, it has to sting.  And it's so unfortunate.  The only silver lining that I can see is that these idiots probably checked into a Holiday Inn Express or other sanitized lodging and will never experience her risotto.  Their world is a sadder, less rich place...

And to finish out the story, the birthday gathering was not where I thought it was, but about twenty minutes further away.  By the time we arrived, we were an hour and 15 minutes late.  And no one had received their food yet.  And the last couple arrived an hour after us.  And my world is a beautiful, shining place, full of beautiful, shining people...

No comments:

Post a Comment