Sunday, March 9, 2014

Candy Crush and Other Addictions





There are a few things in my life that I overdo.  Chocolate, fried chicken wings, wine.  Those are a few.  But I can push them away. I eat one or two Godiva chocolates a day.  C'mon -- look at them!


And, especially with friends, I drink more than one glass of wine.

And don't even get me started on fried chicken wings.  I'm constantly reminded of a quote from So I Married an Axe Murderer  



Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?
Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?
Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

But none of these compare to my addiction to Facebook games.  You'd think that I could avoid crushing candies and tracking down virtual killers and discovering shadowing conspiracies.  But each have a daily 'Check-in" offering.  Play every day and you get additional bonuses.  Miss a day and your reward decreases.  Watch a video and you get extra prizes.  Note that I never, EVER give them money.  Talk about a slippery slope...  Candy Crush is generating over $600,000,000 in revenue a year.  WOW!!!

I have culled my list to only those that I really enjoy.  The aggressive games that confuse actual players with a general sampling of my friends, to entice me to "Invite them to play", I avoid.  Because some FB friends consider an invitation to play to be on the same level of disagreeing with their politics or insulting their mother.  Here's my short list:

1. Pearl's Peril
2. Criminal Case
3. Candy Crush
4. Papa Pear Saga
5. Farm Heroes Saga



Once I being to play, I promise "Just one more scene.  One more level.  One more try."  The next thing I know, it's ten hours later and I've done nothing.  Except Just one more scene.  One more level.  One more try.  It's very, very sad.  

I have to put this to good use.  I think I'll write about it...

2 comments:

  1. I've never played any of the games on Facebook but you do make it sound quite addictive. I guess those companies know what they're doing when they set up their strategies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely working for me! I even dream about colorful, exploding candies sometimes :D

      Delete