Friday, February 21, 2014

Writing Motivation and Other Ways to Stay Sane (and out of Jail)









Big topic.  Seems that most writers, especially newbies, are looking for the silver bullet.  To borrow a phrase from Nike, Just Do It.












And, the conferences, writing groups and other organized units are going to scream to the high heavens, but if you're sitting in an auditorium, conference room, class room or various and sundry other meeting places talking to people about writing, you're not writing.  This isn't just my idea -- Stephen King writes about this extensively.  Just like exercise, talking about it isn't producing results.




Now we're past that.  You're ready to stretch your literary muscles.  How do you convince yourself to do it?

I find that when I'm mad, frustrated, depressed or otherwise conflicted, it's much easier for me to write than when I'm content/happy.  I guess there's a HUGE revenge tone to my writing.  If I write this and it's published and I makes a gazillion dollars off it, I can sail away and never have to answer to anyone ever again in my life.  Ever.  Again.

Then reality kicks in when I get my umpteenth rejection.  At least I feel better for having written something down, killed off my latest frustration--usually they die in a fiery crash or by monster attack or get sent to jail because they were bad.



Hey, it's cheaper than a psychiatrist!



But I digress...  One thing that works for me is a look-ahead attitude.  If I write for a half an hour right now, in a half hour I can do anything I want; cruise Facebook, play Candy Crush, write on my blog, have a drink.  Once I get into it, a half hour usually turns into an hour, two, three, and on.

Works for exercise as well.

We're writers; we express ourselves through solidifying our visions.  Use that.  It's powerful when we turn it on ourselves.

As a final note, I use it for dieting, too.  When there's a huge plate of decadent, completely unhealthy donuts calling to me, I visualize having already eaten one.  That's all that's left fifteen minutes after you snarf one down anyway, so make it useful!







No comments:

Post a Comment