Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Seeking a Friend at Work and Other Corporate Dilemmas...





A few years ago, I worked at a globally known corporation.  One aspect I was scolded on was that it was more important to get along and be liked than to be competent.



I didn't last long.

When a job needs to get done, I favor competence over social acceptance.

Okay.  That's me.  But I learned some interesting things while I was there.  One is that the number one criteria for an employee to be happy at work (taken from thousands of surveyed employees with diverse backgrounds and levels) is--wait for it...

A friend at work.

Huh.

I've come to believe this.


 Companies can offer equitable pay, challenging work, good benefits, comfortable working conditions, but when something irritates, frustrates, confuses or otherwise infuriates you, nothing gets you back to work and productivity than an empathetic shoulder to bitch on.  Without this, the worse part is when you corner someone to vent and all the while they're checking their watch, the windows, the other cubicles or the managers offices while waiting for you to finish.





My current company offers no empathetic ear.


So I started a blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment