Thursday, February 20, 2014

Where Do Ideas for Books Come From?





When I first started writing, I was worried that I wouldn't have ideas for books.  That hasn't been a problem.  The problem is finding the time to write all the books I want to produce...  Especially when I'm acting as author, publisher and marketer :)

Here's where the first one, The Basement Office, came from:

I've always been incredibly shy.  Working in an office 8-10 hours a day and having to eat lunch with co-workers, all men, was excruciating for me.  I dreamed of working from home and only interacting on rare occasions.  To prepare for this, I read a lot of articles on the subject.

One day, I came across an article that recommended setting aside a place in your home that you could segregate from the rest of the household.  Lockable from the inside, sound proofed and even equipped with a kitchenette or, at least, a refrigerator and bathroom to ensure you had complete privacy with no distractions.

As I contemplated this, I started thinking about what would happen if you locked yourself in, told everyone to stay away and leave you to your work and then had an accident.  Or a heart attack.  Or if insects or beasties or monsters or aliens attacked and no one knew you were in trouble.  Or if it were in a basement with only one way out.  Through them...

And that's how The Basement Office was born.

The sequel, Sparks in the Wall deals with the concept that maybe hallucinations that come from the DT's aren't really hallucinations at all, but rather a window into another dimension.




Workshop 'Til You Drop is easy.
Attended a writer's workshop.  Was slashed to ribbons by a literary author because I wanted to be published and commercially successful.  Wanted to kill him.  Started thinking about how many others probably wanted to kill him.  Et voila!  Murder mystery, English cozy style...


Just for the record, therapists I've talked to over the years say this is very healthy.  Frustrations, anger, disappointments are all worked into stories and usually killed off in a colorful way.

Very healthy.

Really...



No comments:

Post a Comment