Monday, February 24, 2014

Paper or Plastic? and other Supermarket Rants





This is a rant.  It is only a rant.  In the event of a real crisis, you will be instructed where to go to take action...

Here goes...

I hate the plastic bags that are inundating our landscape.  They float here and there, in the water, on the land, in yards, on beaches, in the woods and anywhere else you can imagine.



They are killing wildlife and making our planet a mess.

So....  I refuse to take them.  I have built up an impressive array of reusable bags that I keep in my car, in my briefcase, in my desk at work and at home.  There is rarely a time when I don't have a bag handy to whip out and fill with my latest purchases and acquisitions.  As a plus, they're stronger than either paper or plastic, which means my life is easier.

On several occasions, I've handed my reusable bags to the bagger.

Well and good.

However, because of the borderline neurosis with germs and hygiene in this country, the bagger then proceeds to take lunch meat or whatever I've bought, which is double and triple bagged with plastic, and puts it in a plastic bag, which is then placed in my reusable bag.

See any problem with this?

Today, I had to (almost) forcibly take the plastic bag out of my reusable bag, remove the contents, put them in the reusable bag and give the plastic bag back to the bagger.  Who responded with a harrumph and a disgusted look.

Boy, when they ask if you want paper or plastic, they mean it...




No comments:

Post a Comment