Monday, February 10, 2014

TESOL: Learning Junkie Burned or How to Sneak Religion into Unrelated Classes

I have to admit it -- I'm a learning junkie.  In the last year, I've taken classes in How to Pitch Your Novel, Italian, Painting, Woodcarving, Soap Making and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL).  Pending, I have a four-pack of Digital Photography, Web Design and some other technical stuff as well as how to turn Copywriting into a 6-figure Income.  Oh, and I have Rosetta Stone for Italian and Spanish (Castillian)

Casually dipping my toes into the academic ocean, I'm searching for that subject that makes me sing and dance and jump around and hug complete strangers.  Woodcarving, Novel Pitching and Italian are close, but still not the bonanza.  And I've enjoyed each of the classes in their own way, but one.  The TESOL class.

My mile-high, all-encompassing dream is to move to Europe and spend time cruising the Med, until landing in a far-away land that I can call home.  I figured that having a TESOL certification would be nice to have in my back pocket in case other sources of income didn't pan out.  And yes, I'm still waiting for that first, break-out novel that means I don't have to go into an office everyday.  It doesn't have to be James Patterson or J. K. Rowlings or Stephen King level; I just want enough to buy bread in an Italian Market and drop and anchor offshore and enjoy life.

Back to TESOL.  I bought a Groupon for the Global Leadership College online TESOL class.  I truly didn't mind the delay in getting materials graded or the slightly snarky "Because I said so," answer when I asked why I got something wrong.  I didn't even mind the cumbersome web interface or the involved discussion of the history of the English language.  What finally set it off for me was the thinly veiled references to Christianity sprinkled throughout.  Seriously.  And, because it was VERY thinly veiled, it seemed more like a cult than a legitimate religion.  The High One, the Good News, seeking joy vs pleasure (bad, very bad...), repenting of your sins.  There was even a statement that all language originated from the fall of the Tower of Babel.  These concepts were woven into the lesson plan and, if you didn't answer them according to the Good News and the wishes of the High One, you missed points.

SERIOUSLY???

I'm not adverse to religion or others espousing their beliefs, but let me know before I sign up.  I have a right to not hear your views as much as you have a right to speak them.  By the way, my husband thinks this is hilarious... 

As a result, I'm writing off the Groupon cost and concentrating on my technology and writing.  Hey, anybody need a good Embedded Engineer/Novelist in Italy?  Preferably Sicily?  Or Spain?  Barcelona?

Ciao, tutti!  or Adiós a todos!

No comments:

Post a Comment