Saturday, January 25, 2014

Workshop 'Til You Drop - Initial Release

It's been 12 hours since I released Workshop Til You Drop.  There are millions of books on Amazon and, with my limited circle of friends, their support put me at #190,822.  Funny how excited I am with this recognition.


Last March, I attended a Pitch Conference in New York that made me feel old and invisible and sad. "No one wants to read about middle-aged people experiencing middle-aged angst..."  One of the twenty somethings, DB, was pitching a book idea that was nothing more than a series of plagiarized ideas strung together -- even the title was borrowed.  I felt that anything I said would come across as sour grapes, so I said nothing.

When I came back, I downloaded a sample of one of DB's books.  It wasn't that great.  Overblown and melodramatic; the writing was raw and the plot was derivative.  I followed his posts for a little while, but stopped when he announced "What gives???  I can't even get my douchebag friends to buy my books!"

Huh.

Two things.

1. If I have to rely on my friends and family to support my writing habit, I'm pretty much guaranteed that I won't make the mortgage payment.
2. Calling your friend douchebags reveals more about yourself than your friends.  Maybe hidden in that comment is a clue as to why you don't have the support you crave.  Ya think???

No comments:

Post a Comment